[757labs] Asterisk @ the lab

fister at skullfuckers.org fister at skullfuckers.org
Wed Sep 14 15:39:24 EDT 2011

Yo

I have seen laptops idle under 10 watts with no load and display off.

You don't need as much power as a P4 if you aren't doing a lot of mixing
or echo cancellation.  You should try the box you have and see how it
works under load.  It will probably pass lots of simultaneous ulaw
calls.  It might stumble on a large conference (lots of mixing); or if
you need to use a codec for some reason (cpu intensive); or you may find
that you can't pass 16kHz audio reliably.

OpenWRT has asterisk packages if you need a lightweight, easy install.
Just use opkg/ipkg to add after install.
http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03.1-rc5/x86_generic/packages/

The last rev of FreePBX staged itself pretty easily on Centos 5.  I
think this is the fastest way to get a new box passing calls.  The
packages I need for telephone support happen to be in another repo.
Your polycom stuff might drop in the same way.
http://www.asterisk.org/downloads/yum
Of course you'll be using Asterisk 1.8 now.