[757labs] Now: Fios fail Was: BFYI - 2nd Mid-Town Tunnel Support

Adam Crosby adam at uptill3.com
Fri Dec 9 11:48:52 EST 2011

On Dec 9, 2011, at 10:46 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

>> I don't think bandwidth to the home is a limiting factor anymore - anything
>> greater than 3-5mb/s is just frosting for long downloads or stealing shit
>> on the Internet.  Low latency, and low congestion up-stream are WAY more
>> important for quality of service comparisons, such as streaming videos or
>> surfing the web.
>
> Well, you care about total end-to-end performance, which includes dealing with
> upstream congestion and the local loop also, when you're talking about stuff
> like streaming videos.  (That, incidentally, is one of the big applications
> for high downline bandwidth in Korea).
>
> It's interesting that latency is less of a big deal than it used to be... back
> in the days when everyone was telnetting into remote servers and waiting for
> their characters to echo back, network guys actually cared a lot about latency
> issues.... but these days most of the things people use the internet for are
> not as dependent on realtime performance.

I'd argue just the opposite - latency today is more important than ever.  A common web site like CNN.com will have dozens or hundreds of separate HTTP round trips (173 at my last check of cnn.com itself), coupled with possibly dozens of DNS resolutions (23 separate domains for cnn.com at last check), etc.  If you're over 100-130ms of latency per request, it might feel like it's crawling, even if you're on a gigabit connection.  At 100ms rtt to your DNS server, that's almost half a second just for name resolution, without even beginning to do data transfer.

With Skype and other audio/video conferencing stuff taking off in a huge way, latency continues to be the killer.

Latency is why surfing on 3G still feels painful and slow, even though it's a multi-megabit connection.

http://www.edgeblog.net/2007/its-still-the-latency-stupid/

--
Adam